Network for a Job
Grads & Parents
DYI - Dye Your Roots
DYI - Dye Hair Roots Yourself
I created a simple method for dying the roots of my hair myself every three weeks. My stylist cuts my hair and puts in low lights ever couple of months.
What is needed:
1. Hair dye kit (can be purchased at the drug or grocery store) or components for dying from a beauty supply store.
2. Aluminum foil cut into squares about 6 x 6 inches or larger if hair is long or very thick.
3. Elastic hair ties for ponytails.
Prepare your hair:
1. Wash your hair follow with conditioner. Rinse thoroughly.
2. Pour white distilled vinegar onto your hair. Leave it for a minute or two. Rinse thoroughly. This is to remove any residue from hair products.
3. Completely dry hair.
Steps for dying roots:
1. Prepare hair dye as directed. Put dye in a squeeze bottle if not in the kit.
2. Use elastic hair ties making 6-10 separate ponytails strategically placing them all over your head.
3. Wrap each ponytail in foil securing foil tightly around hair. Can then roll into a ball.
4. Use gloves if desired and take tip of the bottle with dye mixture squeezing under the elastic tie onto the scalp for each ponytail.
5. Squeeze additional dye into the spaces around the pontails working all areas with the tips of your fingers.
6. Gentle work all areas with your fingers taking care of around the back of the neck and hairline around the face.
7. Use a handheld mirror to view in a larger mirror your entire head to make sure all areas are wet with dye.
8. Wait the prescribed time, pull off foil and elastic hair ties, rinse thoroughly followed by conditioner.
Note: This method appears messy but it works. My hair can be pulled back or parted with completely covered roots despite being in need of a cut and lowlights.
This site copyright ©2014 PeopleHirePeople®.
Any unauthorized duplication of this site or any part thereof is strictly prohibited.